Whitland, Ciffig Church
Whitland, Ciffig Church
This Grade II listed 12th century church has no known dedication. Within the church is a 13th century font and a preaching window by the pulpit.
The church was mentioned in the Book of Llandaff, written in the 12th century but based on older documents, suggesting that there may have been a church here for well over 1000 years. Despite the name, there is no indication that it was ever dedicated to St Cyffig.

The oldest part of the current building is the 13th century nave, which was rebuilt in the 15th century. At that time the chancel was added as well as a north aisle. The architecture is interesting as it would appear the arcade between the nave and new north aisle made by simply piercing the existing nave wall, resulting in rather rough openings.

The font is 13th century but has been recut at a later date, and there is a holy water stoup by the tower arch, and a squint, or hagioscope, by the pulpit. The east window glass contains a memorial to Captain Howells of the Welch Regiment, who died in 1915 from wounds received in the Gallipoli landings. In the churchyard, by the east end of the church, is a memorial to 5 children of the Pale family who all died under the age of 7.

Ciffig church is a bit awkward to reach; in fact the official information on the Church in Wales website says under Public Transport, 'It is a bit out of the way.' Take the B4328 south from Whitland and after 1 mile turn east on a minor road towards Blaenwaun. The church is near the first crossing, about 1/2 mile from the B4328. A little further east is the 18th century chapel of Bwlchgwynt.