In AD 663 King Sigebert of the East Angles established a religious community of secular priests in Bury. In 903 the body of St Edmund was buried here, over 30 years after his unpleasant death at the hands of the Danes. In 1020 King Canute re-established the settlement as a Benedictine monastery, with 20 monks.
Bury St Edmunds,
England, IP33 1LS
Clare Priory was the first monastic house established by the Augustinian order in Britain. The priory was established in 1248 under the patronage of Richard de Clare. The priory was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1538, but several of the buildings survived largely intact. Ashen Road,
England, CO10 8NX
The rather scanty remains of 13th-century Greyfriars Priory stand on the slope of a hill overlooking the vanished port of this once bustling town. Now little more than a small village, Dunwich was once a busy shipping centre, one of the busiest ports in the east of England. At one time there were at least 15 churches and other religious establishments at Dunwich, of which Greyfriars was but one. Westleton Road,
Leiston Abbey is the impressive remains of a 14th-century Premonstratensian abbey, one of the best preserved monastic sites in Suffolk. The abbey ruins include the thatched Lady Chapel, which is still sometimes used for worship. B1069,
England, IP16 4TD
Detached Barn conversion for 4+. Ideal location for exploring Suffolk.
Sympathetically converted and appointed to provide modern creature comforts, this welcoming cottage, with an enclosed garden enjoys a rural setting … Sleeps 6
A Grade 1 listed Elizabethan house which is now an AA 4 red star hotel. Standing in 175 acres of parkland offering attentive and friendly service boasting the associated championship PGA golf course and clubhouse. Widely recognised as one of the loveliest in the UK and Ireland s highest … more >>
The Swan at Lavenham is one of the most historic hotels in Suffolk (if not in all of England!). The hotel dates to the 14th century, and the building oozes history from every darkened beam. Parts of the hotel once served as a medieval guildhall for Lavenham's wealthy wool merchants, and parts were a 16th century house. Within the charmingly restored interior you will find numerous original features, including an authentic minstrel gallery. more >>