Treacle Tart Recipe
250g/9oz shortcrust pastry dough, thawed if frozen
plain flour, for dusting
350g/12oz golden syrup
125g/4fl double cream
finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use it to line a 20cm/8-inch loose-bottomed quiche or flan tin, reserving the pastry trimmings. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. mix the syrup, breadcrumbs, double cream, grated lemon and lemon juice together in a bowl.
3. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and decorate the tart with a lattice pattern if you wish.
4. Bake in a preheated oven, 1900C/375oF/Gas Mark 5 for about 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set.
5. Leave the tart to cool slightly in the tin, the serve.
Delicious warm with homemade custard!
Submitted by: Eleanor
Coconut Treacle Tart
Do you have a recipe to add? We welcome additions to our collection of traditional British dishes. Contact us here.