Coconut Treacle Tart
- 250g/9oz shortcrust pastry dough, thawed if frozen
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 50g to 75g/2oz to 3oz dessicated coconut
- 350g/12oz golden syrup
- 125g/4fl double cream
- finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use it to line a 20cm/8-inch loose-bottomed quiche or flan tin, reserving the pastry trimmings. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Mix the syrup, coconut, double cream, grated lemon and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and decorate the tart with a lattice pattern from the pastry cuttings if you wish.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 1900C/375oF/Gas Mark 5 for about 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set and looks golden brown.
- Leave the tart to cool slightly in the tin, then serve.
Submitted by: anonymous
Do you have a recipe to add? We welcome additions to our collection of traditional British dishes. Contact us here.