Castles of Wales Photo Gallery
<< Previous - Next >>
Chepstow Castle was begun in 1067 by William fitz Osbern to guard the main southern crossing of the River Wye. Much of the extraordinary castle we see today is the work of William Marshall, who gained control of Chepstow in 1189. The stark 12th century interior was transformed by the Earl of Norfolk, Roger Bigod II, to form comfortable accommodation. Chepstow is a delight to visit; the location is wonderful, and the historic importance of the design makes a visit very rewarding.