Stonehenge Summer Solstice 2009Posted: 2009-06-13
Celebrating the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge has become a pretty big thing over the past several years. An extraordinary number of people come to the stone circle to watch the sun rise over the standing stones on the morning of the solstice. English Heritage, who manage the Stonehenge site, have made special arrangements for this year's Stonehenge Solstice celebration.
In summary, normal Stonehenge visitor hours will cease at 1500 hrs on Saturday, 20th June 2009 and re-open at 0900 hrs on Monday, 22nd June 2009.
Here are further details:
1) The last Saturday admission to Stonehenge will be at 1500 hrs.
2) The Stonehenge car park next to the monument will close at 1600 hrs Saturday 20th and re-open at 0900 hrs on Monday, 22nd June 2009.
3) There will be road closures in effect around Stonehenge over the Summer Solstice period
4) For the information of visitors, sunrise is predicted to happen at 0458 hrs on Sunday, 21st June
5) Stonehenge will re-open at 0900 hrs on Monday, 22nd June
Please note that there are special conditions of entry to the Solstice Celebrations at Stonehenge. Full details can be found on the English Heritage website and you can download a pdf document outlining details for visitors.
I would highly recommend planning to arrive well in advance, as in previous years the number of people visiting the site has been astronomically high! For more information read our own article on Stonehenge.