Nannerch, St Michael's Church
Nannerch, St Michael's Church
The church of St Michael and All Angels at Nannerch is at least the third to stand on this site. Though we know little of the first church, it was probably built of timber, with wattle infill. The second church was dedicated to St Mary, but in 1852 this was replaced by the current building, with a change of dedication to St Michael and All Angels.

The most striking feature of the interior is the ornate monument to Charlotte Mostyn (d 1694) against the west wall. This memorial was crafted by Grinling Gibbons, though there is strangely none of the fanciful fruit and foliage carving for which Gibbons is famed.

Beside the Mostyn monument is a smaller memorial to Watkin Williams, an MP for the area from 1777-1806. In the window by the lectern is a small shield believed to be 16th century.

Above the altar is a rather pretty painted ceiling discovered during restoration work.

Nannerch church is not spectacular, but a pretty rural church with several interesting historic features.