2 Hitchin Street
We have 13 bedrooms each individually styled packed full of original Georgian features and modern amenities. The George was lovingly restored and renovated in 2013 and 13 bedrooms were added in September 2014 adding to the George s successful fine dining restaurant and bar. Each one of our bedrooms is different with its own unique character and decor making us the only boutique hotel in Baldock.
Many of the rooms offer wonderful views over the quaint market town and historic church of St Marys. There are different styles of accommodation ranging from our king premier rooms to king superior suites . We are able to offer dinner bed and breakfast packages for those special occasions or simply for a weekend escape.
Conveniently located to the A1M and ideally situated for Luton Airport with direct train lines to London & Cambridge we are also the perfect choice for business stays. Please contact our reservations team who will be happy to discuss your accommodation requirements. Freeview flat screen TVs with radio channels Bath and body products Large fluffy towels Complimentary wireless internet access Tea and coffee making facilities Bottled water A front desk opened and staffed 24/7.
Daily housekeeping included in the room rate. All rooms ensuite No minimum-stay requirement Business services We have the facility to photocopy scan email or fax business based documents for you Stylish bar Relax in our bar with one of our local real Ales or cocktail and watch the world go by. - An Insight into the 500 years of History of The George: The first records of an inn at Baldock was of Le George and date back to 1465.
Important inns such as The George were sizeable and valuable properties owned by men of high position in society. During the 16th Century other inns began to appear along the route to London helping to establish what would later become the Great North Road. By the end of the 18th Century The George was one of the three dominant coaching inns in Baldock.
The Inn was known in the town for being an excellent new brick building and was considered to have excellent accommodation and the facility to take wagons and saddle horses. By 1846 Baldock was visited by just 6 weekly coaches and by 1850 after the opening of the Great Northern railway and its branch line through Baldock the coaching age on the Great North road had come to an end. The inns now found themselves too large for the remaining business forcing many inns including The George to close its doors as an inn.
Following the advent of the motor car which brought new life to the Great North Road business began to return to the inns of Baldock. The George inn reopened in 1855 and in 1866 was renamed The George and Dragon to reflect the origin of it s name. As motorists brought new business to the town The George was able to prosper and soon became the principle inn of the town.
Under the proprietor Sid Grey from 1935 The George became one of the most famous inns on the Great North Road. It was well known throughout the country and was frequented by film stars and other notables as they passed through. By 1950 the Hotel no longer relied upon the road for business catering largely for business people particularly from Letchworth Garden City who entertained their clients for lunch and sometimes stayed the night! The George also became a popular venue for dinners and dances.
Today More than 500 years since the inn was first founded new life is being brought back to this historic establishment. The George at Baldock is a historic coaching inn with origins dating back to the 15th century. The Inn was lovingly renovated in 2013 to create a modern local eatery showcasing contemporary British cuisine.
Our emphasis is on fresh seasonal food cooked to order.
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Baldock area.
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Edworth, St George's Church - 4.5 miles (Historic Church)
Hitchin, St Mary's Church - 4.6 miles (Historic Church)
British Schools Museum - 4.7 miles (Museum)
Meppershall Castle - 7 miles (Castle)
Benington Lordship Garden - 7.1 miles (Garden)
Buckland, St Andrew's Church - 7.1 miles (Historic Church)
Biggleswade Castle - 7.6 miles (Castle)
St Pauls Walden, All Saints Church - 7.8 miles (Historic Church)
Knebworth House - 8.1 miles (Historic House)
Lower Gravenhurst, St Mary's Church - 8.2 miles (Historic Church)
Other Nearby Accommodation
+ Heritage Rating + ?