Wigmore, St James Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Wigmore church has strong associations with the Mortimer family, who founded St James as a collegiate church. The oldest part of the building is the nave, which features late Saxon or early Norman herringbone stonework on the north wall. The churchyard cross is much restored, but it stands on an original 14th-century base.
A recent renovation has exposed more late Saxon stonework, estimated to have been added around 1050. This herringbone construction has been left exposed for visitors to see.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Wigmore, St James Church
Address: Wigmore, Herefordshire, England, HR6 9UE
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Located near the castle, on a site overlooking the village
Website: Wigmore, St James Church
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Wigmore Castle - 0.3 miles (Castle)
Leintwardine, St Mary Magdalene Church - 3.1 miles (Historic Church)
Croft Castle - 3.2 miles (Historic House)
Croft Castle Church - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Brampton Bryan, St Barnabas Church - 3.4 miles (Historic Church)
Mortimers Cross Water Mill - 3.4 miles (Historic Building)
Pipe Aston, St Giles Church - 3.5 miles (Historic Church)
Shobdon, St John Church - 3.9 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Wigmore, St James Church: