Self Catering in Gloucestershire - Newent
Areas: Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Sleeps a maximum of: 2
Pricing From: £326.00
Elinor Fettiplace at Pauntley Court is an enchanting house in which to stay, situated in a stunning position overlooking the glorious Gloucestershire countryside. This luxurious romantic retreat is close to some of the best country and river walks in the Cotswolds and Malvern Hills.
Poet Laureate, John Masefield described Pauntley Court as 'a place of great beauty and strangeness'. Dating back to 1300's, this wing of the main house has kept its original features and provides accommodation across two floors with a beautiful double bedroom keeping a balance between the natural rustic features of the building without losing any of the high quality modern conveniences one would expect. Pauntley Court is steeped in history, being the birthplace of Dick Whittington who travelled from Pauntley to become Lord Mayor of London four times over, and Elinor Fettiplace soaks up the magical atmosphere that pervades this small estate.
Guests are welcome to enjoy the wonderful access to the main formal gardens at Pauntley Court. There is a charming walled garden with a statue of Pan at its centre and also a cloister garden planted with pleached hornbeams and two deep herbaceous borders. The sunken garden has an ornamental pond surrounded by beds of tulips, alliums and roses, bordered by box and lovely oak balustrading created by a local craftsman.
Quinces and medlars help to enhance the Elizabethan feel. At the back of the main house is the ruin garden, where foundations of a great house planned by the Somerset family have been planted in yew. The garden uses stone and local bricks in an artistic manner, which might provide owners of gardens with inspiration and which ensure, even in winter, the garden has an elegant bone structure.
Located in the heart of the Gloucestershire countryside and within easy reach of the market towns of Newent and Ledbury, the spa towns of Malvern and Cheltenham and the cathedral cities of Gloucester, Hereford and Tewkesbury Abbey. The village of Pauntley is close to the Cotswolds and yet provides access to other wonderful walking areas including the Malvern Hills. If you want to come with friends, why not also book The Dovecote next door which sleeps four.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps two guests.
- Double bedroom with 6' Super King bed.
- Bathroom with large bath, walk in shower and underfloor heating.
- French doors open from the sitting room to with views out onto the sunken garden, with tables and chairs outside.
- Access to the main formal gardens at Pauntley Court.
- Two hybrid bicycles (men's/ladies') available for guest use.
- Guests are welcome to use the hard surface tennis court in the grounds of Pauntley Court.
- Massage and beauty treatments can be provided on-site by a qualified therapist.
- Sorry, no children or pets.
- Parking space for one car.
- Minimum three night stay.
- Wood burning stove.
- Free standing electric cooker, small fridge, large freezer.
- Dishwasher, combined washer/dryer.
- Nespresso coffee machine.
- Television with sound bar and sub-woofer in sitting room
- Flat screen television in bedroom and area.
- DVD player, Bluetooth CD player, digital radio.
- Selection of DVDs and books.
- Garden table and chairs.
- Sleeps: 2
- Bedrooms: 1
- Log Burner/Open Fire
- On Site Parking
- Welcome Hamper
- Spa facilities (on/off site)
- Tennis Court
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Newent area.
Nearest AttractionsHeritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Corse, St Margaret Church - 2.9 miles (Historic Church)
Hartpury Orchard Centre - 3.2 miles (Countryside)
Hartpury Watermill - 3.8 miles (Historic Building)
Hartpury Tithe Barn - 3.9 miles (Historic Building)
Hartpury, St Mary's Church - 3.9 miles (Historic Church)
Hartpury Bee Shelter - 3.9 miles (Historic Building)
Hartpury Old Dominican Chapel - 3.9 miles (Historic Church)
Ashleworth Tithe Barn - 4.9 miles (Historic Building)
Ashleworth, St Andrew and Bartholomew - 4.9 miles (Historic Church)
Eastnor Castle - 5 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Alternative Cottages
Details of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute facility listings will be always presented during the booking process for your approval.