Eye, St Peter & St Paul Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 16th century Cornewall effigies
The name 'eye' is Old English for 'island', and perfectly describes the village's setting between two streams. The church dates mainly to the 13th century, though the tower was rebuilt by the Victorians in 1874. Both the north and south doorways are Early English, and the north has column capitals carved with foliage patterns.
The south porch is built of timber and dates to the 14th century, with lovely carved tracery decoration on the bargeboards. Within the church, the arcades also date from the 14th century, in Early English style. The octagonal font is simple, with plain panels, of 13th or 14th-century date. High on the chancel wall is a small carved figure of an angel bearing a shield.
Off the chancel stands a north chapel, containing several interesting medieval monuments including a pair of 15th-century tombs to members of the Cornewall family. The oldest memorial is that of Sir Rowland (d. 1520), his effigy resting on a later 19th-century tomb table. The effigy's hands have broken off and have been placed by the figure's leg, looking rather grotesquely like disembodied limbs.
Nearby are the effigies of Sir Richard Cornewall and his wife (c. 1540), resting on a tomb chest with 'weepers' around the base, representing their children. The Cornewalls were the original holders of the Berrington estate. They later sold Berrington to Thomas Harley, who built Berrington Hall (National Trust) around 1780. There is a funeral hatchment to John Blount (d. 1629) and his wife Elizabeth.
More modern is a touching memorial on the north chapel wall designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield for Lord Crawley, in honour of his three sons, all killed in WWI.
The pulpit is Jacobean, with very nicely carved panels arranged in three tiers, with arabesques on the top and bottom layers. Two of the panels bear the date 1681 and the names of churchwardens.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Eye, St Peter & St Paul Church
Address: Eye, Herefordshire, England, HR6 0DP
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Off the A49 at Eye. Usually open daylight hours.
Website: Eye, St Peter & St Paul Church
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
Norman (Architecture) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Berrington Hall - 0.8 miles (Historic House)
Yarpole, St Leonards Church - 1.8 miles (Historic Church)
Orleton, St George's Church - 2.1 miles (Historic Church)
Leominster Priory - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Grange Court, Leominster - 2.9 miles (Historic Building)
Croft Castle Church - 3 miles (Historic Church)
Leominster Museum - 3.1 miles (Museum)
Croft Castle - 3.1 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to Eye, St Peter & St Paul Church: