Slaidburn, St Andrew's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
There is an Elizabethan font cover, a very attractive set of early Georgian pew boxes, a carved Jacobean chancel screen, and a glorious triple-decker pulpit from 1740. The organ was used at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and installed at Slaidburn in 1870.
The timber roof in king-post style probably dates to the early 17th century. The five-stage west tower is 15th century and holds a ring of six bells, all of them cast - at different times - at the famous Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London.
In the churchyard is a cross shaft dating to the late medieval period. The shaft is made from sandstone and has finely carved detail on its upper section.
Though the village of Slaidburn is in Lancashire today, it was traditionally part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. For that reason, Slaidburn Church is part of the Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Slaidburn, St Andrew's Church
Address: Church Street, Slaidburn, Lancashire, England, BB7 3ER
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Photo Credit: Alexander P Kapp, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Browsholme Hall - 4.7 miles (Historic House)
Bolton-by-Bowland Church - 5 miles (Historic Church)
Waddington, St Helen's Church - 5.4 miles (Historic Church)
Sawley Abbey - 5.4 miles (Abbey)
Clitheroe Castle - 6.9 miles (Castle)
Gisburn, St Mary's Church - 7.7 miles (Historic Church)
Chipping, St Bartholomew's Church - 7.8 miles (Historic Church)
Great Mitton, All Hallow's Church - 8.3 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Holiday Cottages to Slaidburn, St Andrew's Church: