Self Catering in Gloucestershire - Newent
Sleeps a maximum of: 4
Pricing From: £392.00
The Dovecote, in the grounds of Elizabethan Pauntley Court, is the perfect country escape set in glorious gardens and close to beautiful country and river walks. Located within easy reach of the market towns of Newent and Ledbury and the spa towns of Malvern and Cheltenham.
The Dovecote at Pauntley Court is an enchanting house in which to stay. Poet Laureate, John Masefield described Pauntley Court as 'a place of great beauty and strangeness'. Dating back to 1300s, the Dovecote has kept its original features and has been converted into a beautiful two double bedroom house, perfectly balanced by keeping the natural rustic features of the building without losing any of the high quality modern conveniences one would expect.
Pauntley Court is steeped in history with it being the birthplace of Dick Whittington, who travelled from Pauntley to become Lord Mayor of London four times over, and The Dovecote soaks up the magical atmosphere that pervades this small estate. The Dovecote has access to the main formal gardens at Pauntley Court which guests are welcome to enjoy. There is a charming walled garden with a statue of Pan at its centre and also a cloister garden planted with pleached hornbeams and two deep herbaceous borders.
The sunken garden has an ornamental pond surrounded by beds of tulips, alliums and roses, bordered by box and lovely oak balustrading created by a local craftsman. Quinces and medlars help to enhance the Elizabethan feel. At the back of the main house is the ruin garden, where foundations of a great house planned by the Somerset family, have been planted in yew.
The garden uses stone and local bricks in an artistic manner, which might provide owners of gardens with inspiration, and which ensure even in winter the garden has an elegant bone structure. The Dovecote is located in the heart of the Gloucestershire countryside within easy reach of the market towns of Newent and Ledbury, the spa towns of Malvern and Cheltenham and the cathedral cities of Gloucester and Hereford, and Tewkesbury Abbey. The village of Pauntley is close to the Cotswolds, and yet gives you access to some wonderful walking areas including the Malvern Hills.
If you want to come with friends, why not also book Elinor Fettiplace next door which sleeps two.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps four guests.
- Two en-suite Super King double bedrooms (both 6' beds can be converted to 3' singles on request).
- Private garden with seating area and barbecue.
- Access to the main formal gardens at Pauntley Court.
- Two hybrid bicycles (men's and ladies') available for guest use.
- Guests are welcome to use the hard surface tennis court in the grounds of Pauntley Court.
- Massage and beauty treatments can be provided on-site by a qualified therapist.
- Children over 12 years welcome.
- Sorry, no pets.
- Parking for 2 cars by the main house.
- Minimum three night stay.
- Wood burning stove.
- Free standing electric cooker, small fridge, dishwasher.
- Large freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer in nearby outbuilding.
- Nespresso coffee machine.
- Television with sound bar and sub-woofer in sitting room.
- Television with Freeview in both bedrooms.
- Blu-ray player, DVD player, Bluetooth CD player, two digital radios.
- Garden table and chairs.
- Sleeps: 4
- Bedrooms: 2
- Enclosed Garden
- Log Burner/Open Fire
- On Site Parking
- Welcome Hamper
- Spa facilities (on/off site)
- Tennis Court
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Newent area.
Nearest AttractionsHeritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Corse, St Margaret Church - 2.9 miles (Historic Church)
Ashleworth Tithe Barn - 4.9 miles (Historic Building)
Ashleworth, St Andrew and Bartholomew - 4.9 miles (Historic Church)
Eastnor Castle - 5 miles (Historic House)
Kempley, St Mary - 5.1 miles (Historic Church)
Pendock Old Church - 5.3 miles (Historic Church)
Ledbury, St Michael's Church - 5.8 miles (Historic Church)
Master's House, Ledbury - 5.9 miles (Historic Building)
Butchers Row House Museum - 5.9 miles (Museum)
Ledbury Heritage Centre - 5.9 miles (Museum)
Nearest Alternative Cottages
Details of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute facility listings will be always presented during the booking process for your approval.