British Golf Museum
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The museum holds over 17,000 historic objects, from the very beginnings of golf in the Middle Ages to the present day. Highlights include the 1754 'Articles and Laws in Playing the Golf' hand-written entry in the minute book of the Society of St Andrews Golfers. There are only 13 Rules, but they still form the basis of the game we know today.
See a 'driving putter' made in 1848 by Hugh Philp, a local St Andrews carpenter.
The collection of historic objects is fascinating; see a ball pattern-making press from 1890, used to impress dimples onto a ball's surface. See trophies awarded to early golfing legends, such as the gold pocket watch given to James Braid and the medal given to Tom Morris Jr for his Open triumph in 1872.
One of the enjoyable features at the museum is the collection of old and unusual golf clubs and equipment, including a ball made of cane by a POW in Edinburgh during WWII.
A more recent and poignant addition to the museum is the pair of shoes worn by Seve Ballesteros for his Scottish Open win in 1991.
About British Golf Museum
Address: Bruce Embankment, St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, KY16 9AB
Attraction Type: Museum
Location: on A915/917 opposite the clubhouse of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club
Website: British Golf Museum
Phone: 01334 460 046
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
St Andrews Castle - 0.3 miles (Castle)
Blackfriars Chapel - 0.4 miles (Historic Church)
St Andrews, West Port - 0.4 miles (Historic Building)
St Andrews Cathedral and St Rule's Tower - 0.5 miles (Cathedral)
Kirkheugh, St Mary's Church - 0.6 miles (Historic Church)
St Athernase Church - 4.1 miles (Historic Church)
Kellie Castle - 7.3 miles (Castle)
Hill of Tarvit Mansion - 8.6 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to British Golf Museum:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts
Nearest Tourist Information Centre ('as the crow flies')
Tourist Information Centre
70 Market Street
Tel: 01334 472 021