St Andrews, West Port
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The towers of the West Port are said to have been modelled after those of Netherbow Port in Edinburgh (which, in turn, was based on the Porte Saint-Honore in Paris). The gateway consists of a decorated central arch with the addition of side arches added during the 1843 rebuilding work.
The gate was not intended for defence but as an impressive entrance into the city; a mark of civic pride, meant to impress visitors.
Unlike many historic monuments we know exactly who built the Westport Gate; it was the work of Thomas Robertson, who incorporated parts of an earlier gateway on the same site. Robertson created a central, rounded arch flanked by semi-octagonal towers. Between the towers ruins a corbelled parapet sporting a series of waterspouts in the style of cannons.
The gateway was allowed to fall into decay and was comprehensively restored in 1843 by John Grant, who removed a large buttress and substituted several small ones. He also added a plaque with the city coat of arms, two side arches flanking the central arch, and a panel depicting David I on horseback.
West Port is in the care of Historic Scotland, and only the exterior of the gate can be viewed.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About St Andrews, West Port
Address: South Street, St Andrews, Fife, Scotland
Attraction Type: Historic Building
Location: At the junction of South Street and Bridge Street. Not signposted, but very obvious to the eye!
Website: St Andrews, West Port
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Opening Details: Open access site, usually accessible at any reasonable time
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
Decorated (Architecture) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Blackfriars Chapel - 0.1 miles (Historic Church)
British Golf Museum - 0.4 miles (Museum)
St Andrews Castle - 0.4 miles (Castle)
St Andrews Cathedral and St Rule's Tower - 0.4 miles (Cathedral)
Kirkheugh, St Mary's Church - 0.6 miles (Historic Church)
St Athernase Church - 4.3 miles (Historic Church)
Kellie Castle - 7 miles (Castle)
Balcaskie House - 8.2 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Holiday Cottages to St Andrews, West Port: