Tarrant Rushton, St Mary's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
In the centre of the lintel is an Agnus Dei, a sheep, with a scroll issuing from its mouth. Other interpretations of the figure suggest that the 'scroll' is actually a serpent, which is what it looks like to my eyes. On the right is a figure of another man holding a dove aloft. These three figures are taken to represent the Trinity.
Other interesting features within the church include a pair of hagioscopes and a squint between the transept and the chancel. Marks around the squint are said to have been made by lepers from the nearby medieval leper hospital of St Leonard, which stood in the meadow just north-west of the church.
Set into the wall over the inside of the chancel arch is a pair of acoustic jars, installed in 1458. In the medieval period, jars like this were popularly believed to help amplify the priest's voice, though modern acoustic science disproves this.
The church was built to a cruciform plan in the mid-12th century and consecrated in 1150. In the porch is an early medieval holy water stoup. On the exterior of the south transept wall is a very worn mass dial.
St Mary's is a very simple country church, in a lovely rural setting.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Tarrant Rushton, St Mary's Church
Address: Tarrant Rushton, Dorset, England, DT118SD
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Follow Dellsmead Road north through the village
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Tarrant Keynston, All Saints Church - 1.5 miles (Historic Church)
Royal Signals Museum - 1.8 miles (Museum)
Tarrant Crawford, St Mary's Church - 2 miles (Historic Church)
Badbury Rings - 2.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Pimperne Long Barrow - 3 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Blandford Forum, St Peter & St Paul Church - 3.2 miles (Historic Church)
White Mill - 3.6 miles (Historic Building)
Kingston Lacy - 3.7 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to Tarrant Rushton, St Mary's Church: