The extensive remains of a fortified tower house built by Edward I's Lord Chancellor, Robert Burnell, Bishop of Bath and Wells. The castle was built between 1284-1293, using local red sandstone. It replaced an earlier house on the site, where Burnell had been born. Burnell also built the Bishop's Palace at Wells, which is similar in design to Acton Burnell Castle. Acton Burnell, Shropshire, England, SY5 7PE
Bridgnorth Castle was begun in 1101 by the Earl of Shrewsbury on high sandstone cliffs above the River Severn and has been besieged at least three times over the centuries. Very little remains aside from the ruins of the castle's Great Tower, which leans at 15 degrees from vertical, over 4 times the inclination of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Castle Grounds, West Castle Street, Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England, WV16 4AG
Clun Castle is a Welsh Border fortress in a dramatic location overlooking the River Clun. The impressive castle enclosure consists of a motte (castle mound) and no less than three baileys, or earthwork enclosures, with a narrow causeway leading from one bailey to the next. Clun, Shropshire, England, SY7 8JT
Ludlow Castle stands like a colossus atop a high bluff over the River Teme. The first fortifications here were probably by Roger de Lacy, Earl of Shrewsbury, shortly after 1086. By the time de Lacy was banished by William II in 1095 a curtain wall with defensive towers had been built around a bailey. Castle Square, Ludlow, Shropshire, England, SY8 1AY
Shrewsbury Castle is a ruined Norman fortress familiar to readers of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries. The traditional story of the foundation of the castle is that it was begun by the 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, Roger de Montgomery, in 1083. Montgomery was a cousin of William the Conqueror, who rewarded him with lands and titles in England in gratitude for his support.
Whittington Castle is, as far as we know, the only castle in Britain that is owned and operated by its local community. The first castle at Whittington dates to 1090-1100, though there is evidence that a Saxon settlement existed close by the site. In 1138 the castle was fortified by Empress Maud against King Stephen. The rectangular tower keep atop the motte may date to this period. Castle Street, Whittington, Shropshire, England, SY11 4DF