Penwortham, St Mary's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Roger de Poicteau also founded a Benedictine Abbey at Penwortham, with monks coming from Evesham. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the monastic estate was sold to the Fleetwood family, who built a stately home known as Penwortham Priory. This was torn down in the early 20th century to make way for housing estates.
As for the church itself, it is primarily a 14th-century building, with the addition of a 15th-century tower in Perpendicular style. It is built of red sandstone and gritstone and features an ancient timber roof.
Of the numerous memorials, perhaps the most interesting is to John Horrocks, who was a prominent industrialist in the golden age of the Lancashire cotton industry and founded the textile company Horrockses, Miller, & Co.
The church stands in woodland, giving it the peaceful air of a rural building, despite the surrounding urban areas. The churchyard is accessed by way of a lych gate erected in 1896.
About Penwortham, St Mary's Church
Address: Church Avenue, Penwortham, Lancashire, England, PR1 0AH
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Of the top of Castle Hill
Website: Penwortham, St Mary's Church
Photo Credit: Alexander P Kapp, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Becconsall Old Church - 5.8 miles (Historic Church)
Hoghton Tower - 6.3 miles (Historic House)
Samlesbury Hall - 6.3 miles (Historic House)
Tarleton Old Church - 6.6 miles (Historic Church)
Astley Hall Museum and Art Gallery - 7.2 miles (Museum)
Ribchester Roman Museum and Fort - 8.7 miles (Roman Site)
Rufford Hall - 8.8 miles (Historic Building)
Ribchester, St Wilfrid's Church - 8.8 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Penwortham, St Mary's Church: