Cambus O' May Suspension Bridge
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The story goes that when Gordon was a boy he had witnessed a drowning accident at this spot on the Dee, and he vowed that if he got the chance he would build a bridge so that people could cross safely.
In 1988 the bridge had to be rebuilt for safety reasons, but the new bridge was constructed to the exact same design as the original, maintaining a real Victorian feel. It was opened by The Queen Mother in 1988.
The suspension bridge is one of the most popular destinations for tourists visiting Victorian sites on Royal Deeside. There is a signed parking area off the A93 a few miles east of Ballater and a very short walk to the bridge.
You can cross the bridge and join up with a network of public footpaths through the Torphantrick Wood and along the banks of the Dee, including walks to Ballater itself. From Cambus O' May there are also walks into the nature reserve at the Muir of Dinnet. There is a hotel and restaurant at the bridge, but no other facilities.
NOTE: The bridge was badly damaged during Storm Frank in December 2015. It is now unsafe and has been closed. There is no scheduled date for repairs.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Cambus O' May Suspension Bridge
Address: A93, Ballater, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, AB35 5SE
Attraction Type: Countryside - Bridge
Location: Parking area on the A93, signposted 3 miles east of Ballater.
Website: Cambus O' May Suspension Bridge
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
Victorian (Time Period) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Burn O' Vat - 1.2 miles (Countryside)
Tullich Symbol Stone - 1.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Kinord Cross - 1.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Old Kinord Ancient Village - 2.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Royal Deeside - 3.1 miles (Countryside)
Tomnaverie Stone Circle - 5.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Migvie Pictish Stone and Kirk - 5.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Culsh Earth-House - 7.1 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nearest Holiday Cottages to Cambus O' May Suspension Bridge:
Stay from: £320.00 - 1900.00
Stay from: £413.00 - 1412.00
Stay from: £479.00 - 2831.00