Eastleach Turville, St Andrew's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Norman tympanum of Christ in Majesty
An apocryphal tale suggests that the churches were built by two sisters who argued, and each put up their own church. Unfortunately, the truth is less dramatic. The estates of Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville were always separate, and each church was built by the lord of the manor for use by his family and retainers.
The most striking exterior feature of Eastleach church is the saddleback west tower, built in the late 13th or early 14th century, with finely shaped windows. In the churchyard is the base of a medieval cross.
You enter St Andrews through a Norman doorway, built about 1130. Over the door is a wonderfully carved tympanum, depicting Christ in Majesty, flanked by adoring angels. The figures of Christ and the angels are worn (or defaced) but the surrounding chevron and traditional Norman carving motifs are clear and crisp. The overall effect is quite wonderful.
Look closely at the carved lectern, at the east end of the nave. It came from Tewkesbury Abbey and was for some years used by a local parishioner as a parrot stand. When the bird died, she restored to use as a lectern in the church. The Jacobean pulpit has carved panels that once served as garden seats.
Near the lectern is a large parish chest, probably dating to 1632. The font is a rather plain octagonal style, dating to the 15th century. The organ partly hides a 14th-century tomb recess in the transept, decorated with ballflower carvings under a cusped canopy.
The most famous curate of Eastleach Turville was John Keble, the Victorian church reformer who helped inspire the Oxford Movement. The clapper bridge across the Leach is named in honour of Keble. For more on this influential Victorian, read a short biography in our article on Eastleach Martin church.
- Carved lectern
- Norman tympanum
- Medieval cross base
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Eastleach Turville, St Andrew's Church
Address: Eastleach Turville, Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England, GL7 3NH
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: At the eastern end of Eastleach, 2 miles west of the A361 and north of Lechlade. Usually open daylight hours.
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Eastleach Martin Church - 0.2 miles (Historic Church)
Eastleach House Gardens - 0.2 miles (Garden)
Southrop, St Peter's Church - 1.2 miles (Historic Church)
Cotswold Wildlife Park and Manor House - 2.9 miles (Garden)
Langford, St Matthew - 3.4 miles (Historic Church)
Quenington, St. Swithin's Church - 3.6 miles (Historic Church)
Fairford, St Mary's Church - 4.1 miles (Historic Church)
Inglesham, St John's Church - 4.3 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Eastleach Turville, St Andrew's Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts