There may have been a church here in the early medieval period; certainly one existed by the 14th or early 15th century. Much of the current building is the result of a Victorian rebuilding. However, the really intriguing feature of Cockburnspath Kirk is the unusual rounded tower, situated in the centre of the west gable.
Cross Kirk began in unusual circumstances. In 1261 a cross was found on a site just outside the town centre of Peebles. Near the cross was a gravestone inscribed 'the place of St Nicholas the Bishop' (the 4th-century bishop of Myrna, in Turkey, and the model for Santa Claus). Cross Road, Peebles, Borders, Scotland
The medieval parish church of Edrom features a very finely carved Romanesque doorway. The church dates to at least 1139 when it was granted to Coldingham Priory. The medieval building was dismantled in 1737, leaving only the doorway and a transept chapel, known as the Blackadder Aisle. Edrom, Borders, Scotland
In 1496 James IV of Scotland was rescued from drowning while crossing the River Tweed. In gratitude, he built a church on the spot, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The king's bust is set upon the interior wall of his church, the closest Scottish church to the English border. Ladykirk, Borders, Scotland, TD15 1XL
The Soutra Aisle is all that remains of one of the largest and most important medieval hospitals in Scotland. The House of the Holy Trinity at Soutra was founded around 1160 by Malcolm IV as an Augustinian hospital, monastery, and church serving travellers, the poor, the sick, and the aged. B6368, Fala, Borders, Scotland
Stobo is one of the oldest religious sites in the Scottish Borders, with roots going back to the 6th century. According to tradition, the original church at Stobo was founded by Kentigern, more popularly known in Scottish history as St Mungo. B712, Stobo, Borders, Scotland, EH45 8NX