Traquair is one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in Scotland, which has been extended and altered over the years. Traquair started as a royal hunting lodge as early as 1107, then became a fortified tower. In 1491, James Stuart inherited it, and the house has been in the family ever since. In the 16th and 17th centuries, it was turned into a mansion house. Mary, Queen of Scots, visited in 1556, and there are many of her personal belongings and mementos here (a quilt stitched by her and her ladies in waiting, James VI's crib, a rosary and a copy of the warrant for her execution).
Innerleithen, Borders, Scotland, EH44 6PW
Heritage Rating: ?
Heritage Highlight: The oldest continuously inhabited house in Scotland?
Nearest Self Catering Cottages