History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The village was originally 'Eadwulfingham', or Eadwulf's place. It was one of four royal villages given to St Cuthbert in 737 by King Coelwulf. The church was built around 831 AD, and the castle begun around 1230, and rebuilt in the following century and again in the Elizabethan period.
In the meantime, the current church was built. It is primarily 11th and 12th century, with very interesting Norman architectural detail. The massive tower and narrow, slit windows show that the church, too, was built with defence very much in mind!
Address: Edlingham, Northumberland, England
Attraction Type: Village
Location: On a minor road just off the B6341 6 miles southwest of Alnwick
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Edlingham, St John the Baptist Church - 0.7 miles (Historic Church)
Edlingham Castle - 0.9 miles (Castle)
Cragside - 4.6 miles (Historic House)
Cartington Castle - 5.2 miles (Castle)
Alnwick Abbey Gatehouse - 5.3 miles (Abbey)
Alnwick, St Michael's Church - 5.4 miles (Historic Church)
Bailiffgate Museum, Alnwick - 5.4 miles (Museum)
Alnwick Castle - 5.5 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Edlingham:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts