Willingale Spain, St Andrew's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
There are Roman brick fragments in the nave walls and quoins, and in the window dressings. The church is composed of a nave with a 15th-century chancel, with a clapboard bell turret and south porch. At the west end is a bell turret supported on 15th-century posts, and one of the bells may date to the 14th century.
The nave is 12th century, and there are 12th-century windows and doors, though some windows were rebuilt in the 13th and 15th centuries. The north door has some very nice original 12th-century ironwork.
The oldest feature of the interior is a 14th-century font. Within the church are some interesting memorials, including a pair of memorial brasses dated 1614, to the memory of two infant children of the rector.
St Andrew's is no longer used for regular worship and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Willingale Spain, St Andrew's Church
Address: The Street, Willingale, Essex, England, CM5 0SJ
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: 4 miles north east of Chipping Ongar off the B184
Website: Willingale Spain, St Andrew's Church
Churches Conservation Trust
Photo Credit: John Winfield, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Greensted, St Andrews Church - 4.5 miles (Historic Church)
Hylands House - 5.8 miles (Historic House)
Ingatestone Hall - 6.5 miles (Historic House)
Chelmsford Cathedral - 7 miles (Cathedral)
Hill Hall - 8.3 miles (Historic House)
Brentwood Cathedral - 8.4 miles (Cathedral)
Copped Hall - 10.9 miles (Historic House)
East Horndon, All Saints Church - 11.4 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Willingale Spain, St Andrew's Church: