Self Catering in County Durham - Barnard Castle
Areas: Teesdale, County Durham
Sleeps a maximum of: 2
Pricing From: £381.00
Scargill Castle nestles in beautiful Teesdale, close to the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District National Parks. Built in 1560, it has recently been restored into a delightful retreat for two, combining historic character with modern comfort.
Built in 1560 on the site of an earlier medieval castle, it combines historic character with all the cosiness and comfort of the 21st century. Private parking leads through a gate into your own sheltered courtyard gardens, created from the old Tudor manor house. From the garden, the arched entrance hall leads into a dining hall with long oak table; take a moment to admire the ornate roof beams carved from oak trees felled over 400 years ago! From here you can wander into the sunny kitchen which overlooks the Tudor gardens.
The stone spiral stairs lead up to the living room with oak floors and a wood burning stove set within a Tudor fireplace. Two deep set windows pierce the ancient thick walls and overlook the Tudor courtyard gardens to the east and the rolling landscape of Teesdale to the west. Further up the spiral staircase is the romantic bedroom with double bed on an oak floor adorned with Persian rugs.
The rich colours reflect the Tudor love of golds, reds and rich greens which are highlighted with mood lighting enhancing the exposed timber beams above. Windows to east and west provide views of the walled garden and the high moors beyond.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps two guests.
- One bedroom and one bathroom.
- Wood burning stove.
- Enclosed, courtyard gardens.
- Up to two well-behaved dogs are welcome at the property (small additional charge per dog).
- The property is situated on the edge of a working farm so please keep your dogs under careful control when outside the castle grounds.
- Two designated parking spaces are available.
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Ideal for a Romantic Retreat.
- Roll top bath.
- Window seat.
- The historic building means that surfaces can be uneven and rooms are spread over 3 floors with the bedroom on the top floor and the bathroom on the ground floor.
- Original exposed, roof beams.
- Garden furniture, barbecue and herb and vegetable garden.
- For an extra special treat why not get local cook Rachel Markham to make you a Tudor meal at Scargill? Click here for details.
- Stone floors to ground floor with underfloor heating, central heating, solid oak floors to first and second floors, antique furniture.
- Digital TV, DVD player, iPod Dock.
- Microwave, fridge/freezer/ dishwasher, electric cooker.
- Laundry room in external byre with washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Sleeps: 2
- Bedrooms: 1
- One Dog
- Two Dogs
- Dog Friendly
- Enclosed Garden
- Log Burner/Open Fire
- On Site Parking
- Welcome Hamper
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Barnard Castle area.
Nearest AttractionsHeritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Rokeby Park - 2.8 miles (Historic House)
Egglestone Abbey - 2.8 miles (Abbey)
St Mary's Church, Barnard Castle - 3.5 miles (Historic Church)
Bowes Museum - 3.5 miles (Museum)
Barnard Castle - 3.6 miles (Castle)
Bowes Castle - 4.2 miles (Castle)
Stanwick Iron Age Fort - 7.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Stanwick. St John's Church - 8.2 miles (Historic Church)
Raby Castle - 8.3 miles (Castle)
Hudswell Woods - 8.7 miles (Countryside)
Nearest Alternative Cottages
Details of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute facility listings will be always presented during the booking process for your approval.