Self Catering in Cumbria - Glassonby
Sleeps a maximum of: 4
Pricing From: £429.00
Elk Cottage adjoining Glassonby Old Hall is a 5 Star Gold Award-winning barn conversion. It features two en-suite double bedrooms, an oak floored entrance hall, sitting room with wood burning stove, large oak fitted breakfasting kitchen and rear terrace with raised flower beds.
This luxurious restoration of a cosy sandstone cottage makes a great base for a walking weekend in the nearby Lake District National Park or a relaxing retreat enjoying the oak floored open plan living room and dining room equipped with a sandstone fireplace and a generous supply of complimentary logs & kindling. Elk Cottage has private parking, an enclosed sandstone flagged courtyard garden opening from the kitchen and surrounding lawned gardens and orchards. The recent conversion of Elk Cottage dating back to the 1600s, brings this 5* Star Gold Award winning barn conversion back into the habitation for the first time since 1764.
It retains many of its original features including beams, open fireplaces, stone walls, original old fashioned door heights (some low) and terraced gardens and fields. Furnished throughout with antiques as well as benefiting from an extremely well equipped kitchen, including an American style side by side fridge and an AEG washing machine and dryer. Elk Cottage's position on one of the higher hills in the Eden Valley gives its gardens amazing views towards the Pennines and the rolling countryside that has seen this area in Cumbria declared one of the UK's designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
It is dog friendly, and the gardens and grounds surrounding this cottage provide plenty of room for running around. Other properties to be found within the grounds are Glassonby Old Hall, sleeping eight guests and Jenny's Croft, sleeping four guests.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps four guests.
- Two bedrooms, one en-suite bathroom and one en-suite shower room.
- Sandstone fireplace with wood burning stove.
- Gated enclosed sandstone terrace to the rear benefits from lovely raised flower beds and steps leading up to a lawned area (dog owners be aware this is not enclosed).
- On-site, private parking.
- Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome (small additional charge per dog). Please ensure they are kept to the ground floor and off the furniture.
- Please beware of some low doorways.
- Minimum of a two night stay.
- Wood burning cast iron fire, complimentary logs, kindling and firelighters provided for guests use.
- Electric hob, separate oven, microwave, American fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine/ tumble dryer.
- Large screen LCD TV, DVD player, iPod docking system.
- Catering service available, please contact Lynn Hilditch 07775 733608.
- Cot, high chair and stairgate available on request.
- Weber barbecue with with locally sourced charcoal provided for guest use and sustainable plantation teak garden furniture.
- All duvets and pillows are feather filled. These may be changed to polycotton upon request before guest arrival at no additional cost.
- Hot tub available to hire. ( please see notes)
- Sleeps: 4
- Bedrooms: 2
- One Dog
- Two Dogs
- Baby Welcome
- Dog Friendly
- Enclosed Garden
- Log Burner/Open Fire
- On Site Parking
- Pub Nearby
- Children Welcome
- Welcome Hamper
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Glassonby area.
Nearest AttractionsHeritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Little Meg Cairn - 0.9 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Long Meg and Her Daughters - 1.2 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Brougham, St Ninian Ninekirks - 5.7 miles (Historic Church)
The Countess Pillar - 6.5 miles (Historic Building)
Penrith, St Andrew's Church - 6.6 miles (Historic Church)
Brougham Castle - 6.6 miles (Castle)
Penrith Castle - 6.9 miles (Castle)
Acorn Bank - 6.9 miles (Garden)
Brougham Hall - 7.2 miles (Historic Building)
King Arthur's Round Table - 7.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nearest Alternative Cottages
Details of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute facility listings will be always presented during the booking process for your approval.