There are really two Amershams, each with a distinct and quite different character. Old Amersham (which is generally what people mean when they say "Amersham") and Amersham on the Hill. As the name suggests, the latter lies atop a hill. This is the more modern part of the town and was developed when the railway first came to Amersham after 1890. At the foot of the hill is Old Amersham, which lives up to its description of a "charming old town". Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England
Aylesbury took over from Buckinghamshire as the county town in 1725, and since that time has grown in size and importance. There is comparatively little in the way of recognised tourist attractions in the town, but it is surrounded by a number of popular visitor destinations, including Waddesdon Manor, Claydon House, and Stowe Landscape Garden. Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
The entire village of Bradenham is in the care of the National Trust, a testament to this small Buckinghamshire village's historic and scenic interest. Bradenham is set in the Chiltern hills, amidst a network of footpaths that wander through the beech woodland that so characterises the Chiltern AONB. nr High Wycombe, Bradenham, Buckinghamshire, England
Brill is a small village in Buckinghamshire, situated on top of a low hill. Indeed, the traditional nickname for the village is "Brill on the hill". There are attractive Tudor and Georgian houses, but the major point of interest is the nearby 17th-century post mill, built around 1680. To face the wind, the entire mill is rotated around a central post. Brill, Buckinghamshire, England
Buckingham was the county town of Buckinghamshire until ousted by Aylesbury in 1725. The most "visitable" building in the town is the 12th century Chantry Chapel, now operated by the National Trust. The chapel stands near the church of St. Peter and St. Paul. The church itself was completed in 1781, but it stands on the site of a Saxon castle.
Marlow (often called by its longer and more official name 'Marlow-on-Thames') has a well-deserved reputation as one of the prettiest villages on the River Thames. The town's roots go back at least to the Saxon period, when there was a thriving market here. Marlow was a prosperous place in the medieval period, but it was really in the Georgian era that it became a fashionable place to live. This Georgian heritage is recalled by some very elegant buildings on High Street and West Street. Much older is the Old Parsonage, once part of a 14th-century house. The poet Percy Bysshe Shelley lived on West Street with his wife Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein here in 1818. Poet TS Eliot also lived briefly on West Street. Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
This delightful village is set in idyllic countryside in the Chilterns, some 5 miles north-west of Marlow-on-Thames. The village consists of a lovely country pub - the Bull and Butcher - a small village green, and a wonderful 12th-century church.
Wendover is a pretty Buckinghamshire town in the Chiltern Hills. The town was mentioned in the Domesday Book and was a royal manor until 1151. Wendover was granted a fair as early as 1214. The parish church of St Mary dates to the 13th century, and was rebuilt by GE Street in the Victorian period. A row of thatched cottages in Wendover are said to have been a gift from Henry VIII to his second wife, Anne Boleyn. There are excellent walks in the area, and the Ridgeway Path national trail runs directly down Wendover High Street. Wendover, Buckinghamshire, England
West Wycombe is a small Buckinghamshire village that will forever be associated with the eccentric nobleman Sir Francis Dashwood, and his Hellfire Club. Dashwood and his cronies held their infamous parties inside a huge golden ball atop the church tower. Near the village are West Wycombe Caves, created by Dashwood from an old quarry as a project to create local employment. A secret tunnel is supposed to run from the George and Dragon Inn to the caves. The whole village of West Wycombe is owned by the National Trust as part of an effort to preserve the traditional architecture and history. West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England
The Buckinghamshire village of Wing is best known as the site of Ascott, a fabulous mansion built by the wealthy de Rothschild family. However, the village of Wing itself deserves exploring in its own right, especially the marvellous Saxon church of All Saints, one of the finest pre-Conquest churches in England, which may stand on the site of a pre-Christian temple. Wing was mentioned in the Domesday Book, and the ancient Icknield Way passed directly through the village on its way from Oxfordshire to Cambridgeshire. Wing, Buckinghamshire, England