The little medieval chapel at Kilmory Knap holds a treasure-trove of beautifully carved Early Christian cross-slabs and later West Highland grave slabs mixed with examples of early medieval sculpture. The chapel, which is dedicated to St Mary, was never a church in its own right, but a subsidiary chapel to Keills, across Loch Sween. B8025, Kilmory, Knapdale, Strathclyde, Scotland, PA31 8RT
Attraction Type: Church - Early Christian Cross Heritage Rating:?
A misshapen 8th-century cross stands beside a roofless medieval chapel on the west shore of Loch Gruinart. The chapel was built in the late 14th century and burned in the Battle of Loch Gruinart in 1598, when a group of MacDonald clansmen were trapped inside the building by their MacLean enemies. Kilnave, Strathclyde, Scotland
Kilvickeon Old Parish Church is a ruined 12th-century church near Loch Assapool. Inside the church is a possible sheela-na-gig carving. In the burial ground is a replica of the Mariota Stone, a floriated 16th-century grave slab, sadly stolen. Scoor Road, Bunessan, Isle of Mull, Strathclyde, Scotland
Kirkoswald's Old Church was built around 1220. Inside the ruined church is the font where Robert Bruce was baptised. In the churchyard are the graves of Robert Burns' maternal grandparents as well as real-life characters from his poems such as the real Tam O'Shanter, Souter Johnnie, and Kirkton Jean. Main Road (A77), Kirkoswald, Strathclyde, Scotland
Just off Largs Main Street stand the remains of a medieval church dedicated to Columba. The Old Kirk is now a burial ground, but the ruins include a Renaissance burial aisle with a painted ceiling. Main Street, Largs, Strathclyde, Scotland
A very simple sandstone memorial to Lachlan MacQuarie (1761-1824), who is known as the 'Father of Australia' for his role as Governor General of New South Wales from 1810-1821. The mausoleum stands in the grounds of Gruline House, which MacQuarie owned, and near is birthplace on the Isle of Ulva. Gruline House, Gruline, Strathclyde, Scotland
The old graveyard of Mauchline church is the final resting place of four children of poet Robert Burns. Also interred here and numerous characters immortalised by Burns in his early poems, as well as his patron Gavin Hamilton. The graveyard is very close to Burns House, where the poet lived with his wife Jean Armour. Loudon Street, Mauchline, Strathclyde, Scotland, KA5 5BU
A late 14th-century collegiate chapel founded by John Kennedy of Dunure on the site of an early 13th-century chapel. In 1371 Kennedy and his family furnished the funds for the Chapel of St Mary at Maybole, and in 1382 they founded a college of priests to pray for their souls. Abbot Street, Maybole, Strathclyde, Scotland
Remains of a late medieval chapel once owned by the abbey at Derry in Ireland. In the chapel are a number of late medieval grave slabs including one with an effigy of a man thought to represent a MacKay of the Rinns. Nerabus, Port Charlotte, Strathclyde, Scotland
Paisley Abbey was founded as a priory by Walter Fitzalan, the High Steward of Scotland, around 1161, on a site near Renfrew where a 6th-century Celtic church founded by St Mirin had stood. In 1169 it was moved to its current site in Paisley. Fitzalan's priory was to follow the Cluniac rule, and the first 13 monks came from the Cluniac monastery at Much Wenlock, in Shropshire.
Maintaining its original charm though wonderful period features such as wooden floors and dormer windows – this pretty cottage has been tastefully modernised and comfortably furbished to give the property … Sleeps 6