Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The chapel which gives the village its name was built as a private place of worship but was created a regular chapel in 1195 by the Bishop of Lindores.
It seems certain that the chapel was already in existence at that time. The chapel survived the Reformation and became a parish church of the Reformed Faith in 1583.
It was replaced in 1813 with the present church. Just to the north-west of the village is the Maiden Stone, a 9th-century Pictish cross-slab. There is another Pictish stone at Brandsbutt, and stone circles at Easter Aquhorthies and Loanhead, while just north of the village is Pitcaple Castle, a 15th-century tower house.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Chapel of Garioch
Address: Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Attraction Type: Village
Location: Just off the A96
Photo Credit: Greg Stringham, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
13th century (Time Period) - 15th century (Time Period) - 9th century (Time Period) - castle (Architecture) - Pictish (Architecture) - Reformation (Historical Reference) - stone circle (Historical Reference) - tower house (Architecture) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Maiden Stone - 1 miles (Prehistoric Site)
East Aquhorthies Stone Circle - 2.3 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Mither Tap O'Bennachie - 2.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Brandsbutt Symbol Stone - 2.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Loanhead of Daviot Stone Circle - 3.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Bennachie - 3.9 miles (Countryside)
Inverurie Symbol Stones - 4.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Inverurie Bass - 4.5 miles (Castle)
Nearest Holiday Cottages to Chapel of Garioch: