Trefignath Burial Chamber
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The juxtaposition of the old and new seems a bit odd, but the burial chamber itself more than makes up for this.
The tomb is of Neolithic date; it was built in three distinct phases, beginning around 3750 BCE and ending over 1500 years later about 2250 BCE.
There are two large upright standing stones, one on either side of the central chamber, which is made of several smaller stones supporting two larger capstones. Another solitary upright stone stands at the 'back' of the chamber.
The chamber itself has been partially restored with bricks. There are remnants of further chambers, though these are not as well preserved. The entire tomb would originally have been covered with turf, but now only a jumble of smaller stones remain.
About Trefignath Burial Chamber
Address: Trearddur, Anglesey, Gwynedd, Wales
Attraction Type: Prehistoric Site
Location: On a minor road running parallel and just west of the A55(T) between Trearddur and Holyhead
Website: Trefignath Burial Chamber
Trefignath Burial Chamber Photos
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Opening Details: Open access site, usually accessible at any reasonable time
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Ty Mawr Standing Stone - 0.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Holyhead, St Cybi - 1.4 miles (Historic Church)
Caer Gybi - 1.5 miles (Roman Site)
Penrhos Feilw Standing Stones - 2.1 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Caer y Twr, Holyhead Mountain Watch-tower - 2.9 miles (Roman Site)
Holyhead Mountain Hut Circles - 3.1 miles (Prehistoric Site)
South Stack Lighthouse - 3.7 miles (Historic Building)
Soar Standing Stone - 5.2 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nearest Accommodation to Trefignath Burial Chamber:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts