Horham, St Mary's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The north and south doorways are Norman, with very nicely carved capitals and chevron mouldings. The font is 15th century, with lions standing guard around the base and a bowl with alternating angels and lions.
One of the most interesting features of the church is a series of 15th-century benches with decorated poppyhead ends. But the real treasure at Horham is a pair of wonderfully carved late Elizabethan or Jacobean chairs in the sanctuary.
These have delicately carved backs with foliage and roundels depicting the husband and wife donors, and the arms terminate in marvellous carved figures. The screen is another wonderful piece of woodwork; we know exactly when it was created, for the date 1631 is clearly carved upon it.
Across from the church is a memorial to the 95th Bomb Group, which was stationed here during WWII. Appropriately the memorial is in the shape of an aeroplane tail.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Horham, St Mary's Church
Address: The Street, Horham, East Anglia, Suffolk, England, IP21 5DY
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On the B1117
Horham, St Mary's Church Photos
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Stradbroke, All Saints Church - 1.6 miles (Historic Church)
Wilby, St Mary's Church - 1.9 miles (Historic Church)
Worlingworth, St Marys Church - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Wingfield, St Andrew's Church - 2.9 miles (Historic Church)
Hoxne, St Peter & St Paul Church - 3.6 miles (Historic Church)
Eye, Suffolk Church - 4.1 miles (Historic Church)
Eye Castle - 4.1 miles (Castle)
Fressingfield, St Peter & St Paul's Church - 4.4 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Horham, St Mary's Church: