Alltmawr, St Mauritius Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The core of the church was built in the 13th century, though the unusual three-sided apse was added in late Victorian period. Highlights include 18th century box pews, pulpit, and wooden-framed windows. The font is medieval and all the architectural evidence suggests that the church was erected in the early medieval period.
No written records mention the church, so it may simply have been a chapel of ease rather than a full-fledged church. There are quite a few 18th century memorials in the churchyard, the earliest appearing to be rom 1737.
The church may take a bit of finding. It is located up the lane opposite Abernant House, off the A470 between Builth and Erwood. It stands beside Chapel House, a late 19th century Arts and Crafts style house set in large gardens.
The church is usually kept locked.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Alltmawr, St Mauritius Church
Address: Alltmawr, Builth Wells, Powys, Wales, LD2 3YR
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: 4 miles south of Builth, on the A470. Locked, Key at vicarage.
Website: Alltmawr, St Mauritius Church
OS: SO073 468
Photo Credit: By kind permission, Churches of Wales
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Aberedw, St Cewydd Church - 0.5 miles (Historic Church)
Llandeilo Graban, St Teilo's Church - 1.6 miles (Historic Church)
Llanbadarn-y-Garreg, St Padarn Church - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Crickadarn, St Mary's Church - 2.9 miles (Historic Church)
Builth Castle - 3.1 miles (Castle)
Builth Wells, St Mary's Church - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Llanelwedd, St Matthew's Church - 3.5 miles (Historic Church)
Cregrina, St David Church - 4.5 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Alltmawr, St Mauritius Church: