Normanton church is a Rutland icon. This lovely classical building stands on a narrow peninsula of land jutting out into Rutland Water. It was created by architect Thomas Cundy for the Earl of Ancaster, on the foundations of earlier buildings dating back to the 14th century.
South Shore, Rutland Water, Normanton, Rutland, England, LE15 8RP
The parish church of St John the Baptist in North Luffenham dates back to the 11th century. There is much of interest here, including medieval wall paintings, fragments of 14th century stained glass, and carved angel figures decorating the roof, many of which still show considerable traces of paint. Church Street, North Luffenham, Rutland, England, LE15 8JR
All Saints church is one of three historic buildings at the heart of the county town of Rutland (the others are Oakham School and Oakham Castle). The first church on the site dates to around 1200, but the current building is mostly 13th and 14th century, in a mix of Decorated and Perpendicular styles. The font is probably the earliest feature; it dates to around 1180. Church Passage, Oakham, Rutland, England, LE15 6XT
The parish church of Ridlington revels in a double-barrelled dedication to St Mary Magdalene and St Andrew. The Andrew in question may be a corruption of Andresgil, a minor saint who shares the same feast day as St Mary Magdalene. Ridlington, Rutland, England
St Andrew's church in Stoke Dry is one of the most intriguing and evocative churches it has ever been my pleasure to visit. The hamlet - one can hardly call it a village - of Stoke Dry lies on a sloping hill looking down on the Eyebrook Reservoir, a few miles south of Uppingham and just inside the Rutland border. Main Street, Stoke Dry, Rutland, England, LE15 9JG
Holy Trinity church in the village of Teigh dates to the 12th century, but that early church was replaced by the current building in 1782 on the initiative of Robert Sherard, the Earl of Harborough, who served as rector. The Earl was also responsible for rebuilding the churches at Saxby and Stapleford. Teigh, Rutland, England
St Peter's church in the small Rutland village of Tickencote is a real hidden gem, an unexpected historic treasure. The name Tickencote comes from the Saxon words Ticcen and Cote, meaning a pen for goats in a forested area.
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul's in Uppingham stands on the south side of the historic market place. It is a mainly 14th-century building, though it contains remnants of late Saxon sculpture from an earlier church on this spot. Two Saxon sculptures are set into the east wall of the Lady Chapel and another two are set on either side of the north door. Market Place, Uppingham, Rutland, England, LE15 9QH
St Andrews church in Whissendine is one of the largest in Rutland, with an imposing Perpendicular tower. The earliest parts of the church date to the 13th century, including the south doorway, with dog-tooth ornamentation, but there is work from almost every century since then. Main Street, Whissendine, Rutland, England, LE15 7ET
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul in Wing stands on a mound overlooking Top Street. It dates to at least the early 12th century. The church was originally built to an aisleless design, but a south aisle was added around 1140 and a north aisle around 1180. Top Street, Wing, Rutland, England, LE15 8SE