Adelaide Hotel and Victoria Hotel
These two four-storey hotels built at the London and North Western Railway terminus in Euston Square were designed by Philip Hardwick in 1839 and were erected on either side of the Screen.
At the Victoria, on the left, the only meal available was breakfast, other meals being served at the 141-bedroom Adelaide (later Euston Hotel) opposite.
The two hotels were connected by an ugly block built over the road in 1881. Damaged in the 2nd World War, they were both demolished in 1963 to make way for the new station.
Excerpted from The London Encyclopaedia by kind permission of the Publishers, Pan MacMillan.