Sedbergh, St Gregory's Chapel
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The chapel is built to a very simple plan, made of rubble with sandstone dressing and a slate roof. There is a nave (interestingly oriented north to south rather than the more traditional Anglican west/east), a north porch and south chancel. The architect is unknown, but the style suggests that it might have been built by a railway engineer.
Perhaps the most interesting feature is the stained glass, added during a 1900 restoration by Frederick Simon. Rather than strictly Biblical scenes, the glass depicts the local landscape, trees, plants, birds, and animals.
The chapel is not in regular use and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
About Sedbergh, St Gregory's Chapel
Address: A684, Sedbergh, Cumbria, England, LA10 5ED
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On the A684 1 mile west of Sedbergh, about 250 metres west of the River Lune. Chapel is attached to a cottage.
Website: Sedbergh, St Gregory's Chapel
Churches Conservation Trust
Photo Credit: Tim Heaton, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
Find other attractions tagged with:
Restoration (Historical Reference) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Kendal Castle - 6.9 miles (Castle)
Abbot Hall - 7.2 miles (Museum)
Castle Howe - 7.5 miles (Castle)
Sizergh Castle - 8.9 miles (Historic House)
Levens Hall - 9.7 miles (Historic House)
Gamelands Stone Circle - 9.8 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Pendragon Castle - 11.3 miles (Castle)
Mallerstang Dale - 11.3 miles (Countryside)
Nearest Accommodation to Sedbergh, St Gregory's Chapel:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts