East Heslerton, St Andrew's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Street was one of the most prominent civil and ecclesiastical architects of the Victorian period. Apart from his work on numerous churches around the country he is perhaps best known as the architect of the Central Law Courts in London. The most obvious feature of the church is the striking west tower, with a spire that reaches 105 feet. The church was begun in 1873 and completed in 1877.
There is an interesting story about the four large statues that decorate the tower. They were made by James Redfern and represent the four fathers of the Latin church. They were built to ornament Bristol Cathedral, but the then Dean of the cathedral declared that they were too papist and he refused to allow them to be set in his church. Street snapped them up for East Heslerton, and here they are today.
Interestingly for such a large church, the design utilises lancet windows throughout. The church consists of a five-bay nave, western narthex porch, an apsidal chancel, vestry, and baptistry. The attention to detail is fabulous; even the rainwater pipes use handmade decorative nails. The interior features wonderful woodwork.
Unusually, though the church is in the hands of the Churches Conservation Trust, the parish retains ownership of the church walls, lych gate, and lamp standard.
About East Heslerton, St Andrew's Church
Address: East Heslerton, Yorkshire, England, YO17 8RN
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: 8 miles south west of Scarborough on the A64
Website: East Heslerton, St Andrew's Church
Churches Conservation Trust
Photo Credit: Maigheach-gheal, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Wintringham, St Peter's Church - 3.3 miles (Historic Church)
Scampston Hall - 4.1 miles (Historic House)
Helperthorpe, St Peter's Church - 4.2 miles (Historic Church)
Weaverthorpe, St Andrew's Church - 4.3 miles (Historic Church)
Kirby Grindalythe, St Andrew's Church - 5.8 miles (Historic Church)
Duggleby Howe - 6.6 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Thornton-le-Dale, All Saints Church - 6.7 miles (Historic Church)
Ellerburn, St Hilda's Church - 7 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to East Heslerton, St Andrew's Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts