Kirby Grindalythe, St Andrew's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Superb Victorian mosaic
Street rebuilt the Norman chancel and created a new nave in 15th-century style, separating it from the chancel with a beautiful cast iron screen.
In the north chapel is the single medieval furnishing, a table tomb set within a niche. Rather optimistically referred to as the Founder's Tomb, we do not actually know who it was built for.
The main reason to visit this delightful Victorian church is the superb mosaic which takes up the entire west wall from floor to ceiling. The mosaic was created in 1893 in the style of a richly coloured mural.
The colours are exquisite, and the effect when the sun shines through the stained glass windows and lights the mosaic is quite special. One final Victorian touch is an ornate reredos in the chancel, the work of Redfern.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Kirby Grindalythe, St Andrew's Church
Address: Kirby Grindalythe, Yorkshire, England, YO17 8DB
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: On a minor road between Duggleby and West Lutton
Kirby Grindalythe, St Andrew's Church Photos
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Duggleby Howe - 1.6 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Sledmere House - 2.3 miles (Historic House)
Sledmere, St Mary's Church - 2.3 miles (Historic Church)
Wharram-le-Street Church - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Helperthorpe, St Peter's Church - 3.4 miles (Historic Church)
Wharram Percy Deserted Medieval Village - 3.5 miles (Historic Building)
Wintringham, St Peter's Church - 3.8 miles (Historic Church)
Cowlam, St Mary's Church - 3.9 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Kirby Grindalythe, St Andrew's Church: