History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 14th century All Saints church
The first recorded mention of Clifton comes from AD 944. The village was also mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was recorded as having two mills. William de Caron held land here as a tenant of the Bishop of Lincoln. The manor passed through the Caron family and eventually ended up with the Braybrooke family from 1340.
Parts of a medieval screen survive, with paintings of saints. These are now set on the north and south walls under the tower. At the south-east corner of the nave is a small crypt, and over the porch is a canopied niche containing a statue of the Good Shepherd.
Address: Clifton, Bedfordshire, England
Attraction Type: Village
Location: Just north of the A507/A600 junction
Photo Credit: Photo is (c) Bikeboy, republished with gratitude under a Creative Commons license
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Meppershall Castle - 2.8 miles (Castle)
Swiss Garden - 3.5 miles (Garden)
Biggleswade Castle - 3.6 miles (Castle)
Edworth, St George's Church - 3.7 miles (Historic Church)
Shuttleworth Collection - 3.8 miles (Museum)
Lower Gravenhurst, St Mary's Church - 4.1 miles (Historic Church)
Cainhoe Castle - 4.2 miles (Castle)
Wrest Park - 5 miles (Garden)
Nearest Accommodation to Clifton: