Bedford School Chapel
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The chapel of Bedford School was built in 1907 on a rise of ground by GF Bodley. Bodley died before the work was complete, so the building was finished by his assistant Cecil Hare.
This Edwardian Gothic chapel is created of red brick, with a low tower housing a crenellated belfry. In the interior, cleverly concealed ventilation shafts are hidden behind gilded bosses in the roof. The chapel is long and narrow, and lined with carved oaken stalls along the walls. The bench ends are carved with heraldic beasts, and wall panels commemorate school alumni who lost their lives in WWI.
The tiebeams in the nave show colourful painted decoration, though similar stencilling on the roof has been lost.
About Bedford School Chapel
Address: Bedford, Bedfordshire, England, MK40 2TU
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Website: Bedford School Chapel
Photo Credit: John Salmon, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
St. Peter de Merton - 0.4 miles (Historic Church)
Higgins Art Gallery & Museum - 0.8 miles (Museum)
Bedford Castle - 0.8 miles (Castle)
Bedford, St. Paul Church - 1 miles (Historic Church)
Bedford, St Mary's Church - 1 miles (Historic Church)
Bedford, St John the Baptist Church - 1.2 miles (Historic Church)
Elstow Moot Hall - 2.3 miles (Museum)
Elstow Abbey - 2.3 miles (Abbey)
Nearest Accommodation to Bedford School Chapel: