Extends from hampstead grove to Lower Terrace. Takes its name, as does Admiral’s House, from the 18th-century admiral Matthew Barton who, although a Hampstead resident, never in fact lived here.
The house was built in about 1700, and Fountain North, a naval officer who bought it in 1791, constructed the quarterdeck on the roof where Admiral Barton has long and wrongly been supposed to have fired salutes on special occasions.
Other residents of the house have included Sir George Gilbert Scott and Sir John Fortescue.
Excerpted from The London Encyclopaedia by kind permission of the Publishers, Pan MacMillan.
The London Encyclopaedia list of entries