Milton Manor House
Milton Manor House
An elegant 18th-century house built by Inigo Jones for Bryant Barrett, lacemaker to King George III. The Gothic library is the most impressive interior room, while the house is set in a splendid garden location with two lakes and enjoyable woodland walks.
The present iteration of Milton Manor is a symmetrical residence, with a formal French parterre laid out along the front facade.

Though much of the building we see today is Georgian, the manor almost certainly dates to sometime between 1630 and 1680, with the most likely date being the first few years after Charles II's restoration to the throne in 1660. The manor site was once owned by the Abbey of Abingdon, but after the abbey was dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII the land was sold into private hands. For 218 years Milton was owned by the Calton family, but in 1764 the last three Calton heiresses sold the property to Barrett and it has remained in the Barrett family ever since.

Barrett was a London merchant who managed to support the Stuart cause yet still be made Royal Lacemaker by Appointment to King George II. Family tradition suggests that Barrett loaned money to the Stuarts but it was never repaid.

When Barrett bought Milton Manor he was determined to create a fashionable country seat to showcase his wealth and status. The original 17th-century house was 'modernised' in Georgian style, with over 700,000 bricks helping to create the stylish new house. Barrett added two wings to the earlier building, a walled garden, and elegantly landscaped grounds with lakes and ponds linked by underground channels made of brick. Closer to the house are a stables, dairy, and brewery.

Perhaps more important for visitors to the house, he created an exuberant library in Strawberry Hill Gothic style, following the current fashion popularised by Horace Walpole.

Garden: Children will enjoy the garden Treehouse, woodland Stockade, and pony rides. There are two lovely lakes, walled gardens, and woodland walks. The atmosphere in the house is a shade less formal than in many stately homes, making for a pleasant visit for all.