Adlington Hall is an attractive 14th-century house surrounded by landscaped gardens. The medieval core of the hall is hidden behind attractive Tudor rebuilding, and a west front added in the Georgian period. Within the Hall is an organ said to have been played by Handel, who was a family friend.
Arley Hall is a stately home built in 1469 by Piers Warburton, and it has remained in the ownership of the Warburton family for the following 5 centuries. The Hall has seen many changes over those centuries - the most profound was introduced in 1832 when Rowland Egerton-Warburton called in architect George Latham to rebuild his family home. The result is the house we see today - an excellent example of Gothic Revival taste. The library is particularly notable, featuring richly coloured stained glass windows which flood the large wooden bookcases with light. Napoleon III lived at Arley briefly, and his bedroom is preserved upstairs, with watercolours by Piers Egerton-Warburton decorating the walls. Near the house stands a mock-Gothic chapel designed by Anthony Salvin. Northwich, Cheshire, England, CW9 6NA
Bramall Hall is an excellent example of the timber-framed "black and white" construction found throughout Cheshire, and it is one of the largest timber-framed houses in the northwest of England. The Hall was begun in the 14th century, but the house was considerably rebuilt and extended in the Tudor and Jacobean periods. The Hall we see today, however, is largely the result of a self-consciously romantic Victorian remodelling. The interiors feature well-preserved Tudor rooms, with excellent period plasterwork. The solar retains its original timber roof, and there are very fine 16th-century wall paintings throughout the house. The later Victorian kitchen and servants' quarters have been restored to give a glimpse of life 'below stairs'. Bramhall Park, Hall Road, Bramhall, Stockport, Cheshire, England, SK7 3NX
Capesthorne is a magnificent Jacobean mansion built in 1722, on the site of a much earlier medieval house. The exterior of the house looks 18th century, but the interior is largely Victorian, rebuilt by Anthony Salvin after a fire in 1861. The interiors host a fine collection of antique furniture, art, marble sculpture, and tapestries. Congleton Road, Siddington, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England, SK11 9JY
Dorfold Hall is a Jacobean mansion built in 1616 for Ralph Wilbraham and finished in 1621. The interiors retain their original oak panelling and plaster ceilings. Of particular note is the state Drawing Room, which features a barrel-vaulted ceiling with highly decorative strapwork and plaster pendants. Nantwich, Cheshire, England, CW5 8LD
An elegant Georgian facade hides the earlier Elizabethan core of this popular historic house. Among the highlights are the beautifully paneled chapel, The interiors are full of wonderful 18th century paintings and fine furniture. Altrincham, Cheshire, England, WA14 4SJ
The first hall at Gawsworth was a Norman manor built upon a mound. In 1485 that early house was replaced by a beautiful timber-framed building set around a courtyard. The mound where the Norman house once stood is used for a small chapel, built in 1369 but later remodelled in Arts and Craft style, with stained glass by Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris. The exterior of Gawsworth is very much the sort of Tudor half-timbering you so frequently see in Cheshire houses, but the Elizabethan interior has changed markedly over the centuries. Church Lane, Gawsworth, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England, SK11 9RN
The National Trust calls Little Moreton Hall the most iconic black and white house in Cheshire. Indeed, it is hard to imagine a more atmospheric historic building. Little Moreton seems to embody the perfect ideal of a medieval or Elizabethan house; full of odd angles, darkened beams twisting this way and that with age. The Hall was begun around 1450 by the Moreton family and was extended over the following century to create a warren of rooms, each leading to the next.
Lyme Park is a superb stately home on the edge of the Peak District. The elegant house is surrounded by beautiful formal garden terraces and pools, and set in a huge 1300 acre medieval deer park where herds of red and fallow deer roam. On the top of a nearby rise, just visible from the house is a curious hunting tower called The Cage. This odd structure was used as a recreation and dining place for hunting parties. Disley, Stockport, Cheshire, England, SK12 2NR
Peover Hall is a red-brick 16th-century house with the addition of imposing Jacobean stables. The house was built in 1585 and the stables added in 1654. The house was greatly altered in the Georgian period to create an elegant house in keeping with the style of that time, but the Georgian exterior was taken down when the house was restored in the 20th century. As a result, what we see now is largely the original Elizabethan manor. Over Peover, Knutsford, Cheshire, England, WA16 9HN