Began as a lane leading to Kilburn Priory from which it takes its name. The stuccoed individual villas, each set in its own garden, which began to appear from 1830 onwards are now subdivided or have given way to blocks of flats. John MacWhirter the painter had his residence at No. 1 from 1888 to 1911; the main living room was a galleried hall.
No. 3 is the Abbey Road Studios. Nos 5 and 7, a pair of villas, are in a remarkable Gothic Tudor style. Opposite them the Baptist church designed by W.G. Habershon and Pite was consecrated in 1863 and converted into flats in 1995.
Excerpted from The London Encyclopaedia by kind permission of the Publishers, Pan MacMillan.
Abbey Road studios
The London Encyclopaedia list of entries