Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
The premier museum and gallery venue in Inverness, this modern museum with historic roots hosts displays on the heritage of the Highlands way of life, local history, the Picts, the Caledonian Canal, and silver production.
The museum was launched in 1881 on Castle Wynd, down the sloping hill beneath Inverness Castle. The core of the first museum was a collection of historic Jacobite artefacts and objects connected to the Highlands. Later additions included historical Stuart portraits donated by the family of Prince Frederick Duleep Singh, son of Duleep Singh, the last Maharaja of the Sikh Empire. The painting collection was then enlarged with works of Highland landscape painters.

The collections are spread out over two floors following a timeline of local heritage. On the ground floor are exhibits on the natural history, geography and geology of the Highlands, as well as a collection of carved Pictish stones. The first floor holds more recent objects, including the Jacobite collection, plus Highland bagpipes, weapons, and a special display on Inverness silver.

There is a regular outreach programme including lunchtime talks, temporary art exhibits, recitals, and activities for all ages.

The museum is open all year.