Llanilid Castle Ringwork
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
We are on shaky ground when it comes to the castle's history. Our best guess is that the ringwork was constructed by the powerful St Quintin family, who were lords of the manor until 1245. The original fortification would have been a simple timber palisade.
Unlike other castles, the timber structure was never rebuilt in stone, and it seems that when the manor passed to the Siward family they built a completely new moated site nearby and left the original castle site to decay.
The fortification took advantage of a natural hillock sculpted by glaciers, so all the St Quintins needed to do was level the hillock's top and surround it with a ditch and earthen bank. A single causeway crosses the ditch on the south side, directly in line with the medieval parish church.
About Llanilid Castle Ringwork
Address: Llanilid, Glamorgan, Wales
Attraction Type: Castle
Location: 2 miles east of Pencoed (near M4, exit 35), on a minor road east off the A473, beside the parish church, immediately west of Llanilid Farm
Website: Llanilid Castle Ringwork
OS: SS978 812
Photo Credit: FruitMonkey, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Llansannor, St Senwyr Church - 2.7 miles (Historic Church)
Coity Castle - 3.4 miles (Castle)
Cowbridge Roman Military Site - 4.2 miles (Roman Site)
Llanblethian Castle - 4.4 miles (Castle)
St Quintin's Castle - 4.4 miles (Castle)
Llantrisant Castle - 4.5 miles (Castle)
Ewenny Priory - 4.6 miles (Abbey)
Newcastle Castle - 4.7 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Llanilid Castle Ringwork: