History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The small village of Blunham lies about 7 miles from Bedford. It is largely an agricultural centre, though well populated with commuters. There are several interesting older buildings, notably Manor House, and the village centre is designated for conservation.
The Saxons settled here as early as the 6th century. Today the only relic of those distant times is the Saxon font in the parish church.
At the time of the Doomsday Book, Blunham was jointly owned by Judith, niece of William the Conqueror, and the Abbot of Bury St Edmunds.
The church is unusually large, with a Norman door and arch dating to the 12th century. In the interior is a fine memorial brass for Sir Richard Manlaye.
Poet John Donne (of "no man is an island" fame) was rector of here from 1621 until his death in 1631. He was at that time also Dean of St. Paul's in London, and there is no record of how much time - if any - he actually spent at Blunham.
The village was for many years part of the Wrest Park estate owned by the de Grey family.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
Address: Blunham, Bedfordshire, England
Attraction Type: Village
Location: Just off the A1 north of Sandy
Photo Credit: Michael Trolove, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Moggerhanger Park - 1.9 miles (Historic House)
Roxton Congregational Church - 2 miles (Historic Church)
Lodge Nature Reserve - 2.9 miles (Garden)
Willington Dovecote and Stables - 3.1 miles (Historic Building)
Little Barford, St Denys - 3.7 miles (Historic Church)
Shuttleworth Collection - 4.1 miles (Museum)
Swiss Garden - 4.5 miles (Garden)
Biggleswade Castle - 4.7 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Blunham: