St. Mary's, Luton
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
There was a church on this spot as early as 931 AD, but the present building is largely the result of 13th-century rebuilding. The exterior is notable for the chequerwork pattern of stone and flint. The crenellated tower is mostly 15th century, though the base is earlier.
The south door (1530) is known as the Wolsey Door, after Cardinal Wolsey, a patron of the church. The south aisle contains the oldest part of the church, a strikingly simple early Norman arch into the nave.
Sprouting off the north transept is the 14th century Wenlock Chapel, protected by a double-arched screen of 1461 which came from Luton Hoo. Beneath the screen are the tombs of William Wenlock (d. 1392) and Lady Alice Rotherham.
The 14th-century baptistery was presented by Queen Phillippa, wife of Edward III, when the crown held the living of St. Mary's. The chamber holds a Purbeck marble font of 1330, donated by Richard Barnard, whose effigy is in the south aisle.
About Luton St Mary
Address: Church Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, England, LU1 3JF
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Website: Luton St Mary
OS: TL095 212
Photo Credit: Dr Neil Clifton, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Stockwood Discovery Centre - 1.1 miles (Museum)
Wardown Park Museum - 1.2 miles (Museum)
Someries Castle - 1.6 miles (Castle)
Luton Hoo Walled Garden - 3 miles (Garden)
Dunstable Priory - 4.6 miles (Historic Church)
Dunstable Downs and Whipsnade Estate - 5.4 miles (Countryside)
Whipsnade Tree Cathedral - 5.8 miles (Cathedral)
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo - 5.9 miles (Family Attraction)
Nearest Accommodation to Luton St Mary: