One of the most significant historic sites in the Western Isles, Howmore is a complex of churches, chapels, and a burial ground, on a site that may have been used in pre-Christian times. The main chapel dates to at least the 8th century and may stand on a prehistoric site levelled to make way for the new buildings. Much of the site is enclosed within a short wall of 19th-century provenance. Howmore, South Uist, Highlands and Islands, Scotland
Inverness Cathedral is an outstanding Victorian Gothic church in Decorated style, designed by local architect Alexander Ross - a member of the congregation - in 1869. The interior is a sumptuous blend of marble and granite, with outstanding stained glass windows. Ardross Street, Inverness, Highlands and Islands, Scotland, IV3 5NN
The Old High Church (so named for the height of its tower) is the oldest church in Inverness and the 14th-century base of its tower is the oldest structure. Jacobite prisoners were held in the tower following the Battle of Culloden and executed in the churchyard. Church Street, Inverness, Highlands and Islands, Scotland, IV1 1EY
The Italian Chapel is a shrine built by Italian prisoners of war during WWII, using a Quonset hut and salvaged scraps of metal and wood. The chapel is a moving example of the marriage of faith and art under trying circumstances. The interior is beautifully painted and contains lovely ironwork and trompe l'oeil artwork. Lamb Holm, Orkney, Highlands and Islands, Scotland, KW17 2RT
This ancient cross, now covered in lichen, stands on a Victorian plinth atop a small hill beside the road. The cross was discovered in 'the old graveyard' at Kilphedder and set in place by Dr Alexander MacLeod of Balelone. A865, Scolpaig, Highlands and Islands, Scotland
Attraction Type: Church - Early Christian Cross Heritage Rating:?
Navidale Cemetery, north of Helmsdale, preserves the site of an early Christian chapel dedicated to St Ninian. The chapel, burned to the ground in the 16th century, is little more than a turf-covered outline within the burial ground, but the coastal setting is superb. Navidale Farm, A9, Helmsdale, Highlands and Islands, Scotland
The Old Kirk of Nigg dates to at least 1626, on a site where there has been worship for over 1200 years. Inside the church is the Nigg Stone, a magnificent 8th-century Pictish cross-slab carved in superb detail with Pictish symbols and Biblical scenes. Nigg, Highlands and Islands, Scotland, IV19 1QR
Attraction Type: Church - Pictish Stone Heritage Rating:?
One of the most important ecclesiastical sites in the southern isles, Nunton chapel stands in the burial ground near Nunton Steadings cultural centre, just south of Balivanich. It is the only early Christian site on Benbecula still in use. Persistent legend suggests that there was an early Christian presence here associated with the Celtic monastery established by St Columba at Iona. B892, Nunton, Benbecula, Highlands and Islands, Scotland
Orphir Round Church is the last surviving round church in Scotland. Built in the 12th century, probably by Earl Hakon, whose feasting hall is located immediately beside the church. Both sites are located behind the Orkneyinga Centre, where you can learn about the Norse influence on Orkney and the history of the Orkneyinga Saga. Orphir, Mainland, Orkney, Highlands and Islands, Scotland
A ruined and roofless medieval church looks out to sea at Pierowall on Westray Island. The major historic interest here is a small collection of finely carved medieval tombstones. The church, also known as Lady Kirk, was built in the 13th century, but much of what we can see today is the result of rebuilding in the 17th century. Pierowall, Westray, Orkney, Highlands and Islands, Scotland