Churchill, St Michael's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
There is a mix of interesting historic features, including an octagonal 15th-century font, and a chancel screen and lectern brought here from Great Malvern Priory. The bellcote contains a pair of bells, one of which dates back to the 15th century.
There is some very nice Jacobean carving in the interior, and what appears to be partial carvings of a lion built into the sill of the north window.
There is a single window in each wall of the nave. To the east of each nave window is a small hole in the wall, about three feet off the ground. The function of these holes is not known, but they do provide a bit of a historical mystery.
There are several memorials, but none terribly old - the oldest being to Thomas Barker, who died in 1688.
St Michael's is not in regular use and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Most photos are available for licensing, please contact Britain Express image library.
About Churchill, St Michael's Church
Address: Churchill, Worcestershire, England, WR7 4QE
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Access off a country road from the A422, signposted to Ladies White Aston
Website: Churchill, St Michael's Church
Churches Conservation Trust
Photo Credit: Philip Halling, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Spetchley Gardens - 1.7 miles (Garden)
Spetchley, All Saints Church - 1.7 miles (Historic Church)
George Marshall Medical Museum - 2.9 miles (Museum)
Commandery - 4.3 miles (Museum)
Tudor House - 4.4 miles (Historic Building)
The Greyfriars - 4.5 miles (Historic Building)
Worcester Cathedral - 4.5 miles (Cathedral)
Museum of Royal Worcester - 4.5 miles (Museum)
Nearest Accommodation to Churchill, St Michael's Church: