Little Rollright, St Philip's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 17th century Dixon memorials
An isolated little country church boasting a pair of superb 17th-century wall tombs.
A minor road connecting Moreton in Marsh to Great Rollright runs along an outlying ridge of the Cotswold escarpment. About a mile from Great Rollright a quiet lane leads off to the south-east. The lane leads down the ridge before the view opens out to reveal a tiny valley, with a cluster of farm buildings tucked in the valley bottom.
In the midst of the farm a small church sits on a rise. This is what remains of the village of Little Rollright.
A permissive road leads through the farm to the little church dedicated to St Philip. The exterior is simple and plain; a square west tower of no great size, with a north aisle and small south porch. On the west wall of the tower, a memorial is set into the stone.
Within the church, you see a very simple, whitewashed nave, leading to an even smaller chancel. But this is where things get very interesting.
Set into the north wall of the chancel is a lovely Jacobean monument depicting three kneeling figures gathered around an altar, or lectern. A male figure is at the centre, flanked by two female figures. The inscription on the memorial shows that it is dedicated to Cecil Dixon (nee Whitelocke) who died in 1647, who is presumably one of the two female figures.
The man is undoubtedly her husband, Edward Dixon, (d. 1655). There is no indication as to the identity of the second woman; perhaps a second wife of Edward Dixon. The couple did have a daughter, but they also had a son, so if one is depicted on the tomb you would expect the second to be shown as well. The three figures are set within an arched niche supported on columns of black marble, topped with classical leaf motifs.
Beyond this tomb is a second tomb, set beside the altar. The inscription is too faded to be read, but the carving is of a lying knight, his head on a helmet. The costume he is wearing would appear to be Jacobean. The carving is exceptional, and in an excellent state of repair.
The tomb is topped by a carved and painted coat of arms. On either side of the recumbent effigy are lozenges painted with symbols of mortality, such as an hourglass and skull.
All in all, St Philip is a lovely little country church, well worth a visit. The Rollright Stones stone circle is over the hill, and a signposted footpath leads to the circle from the centre of the village.
About Little Rollright
Address: Little Rollright, Oxfordshire, England, OX7 5QA
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: In the centre of Little Rollright, on a permissive road
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low to exceptional) on historic interest
Rollright Stones - 0.6 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Long Compton, St Peter and St Paul - 1 miles (Historic Church)
Salford, St Mary's Church - 1.3 miles (Historic Church)
Chipping Norton, St Mary's Church - 2.1 miles (Historic Church)
Great Rollright, St Andrews - 2.2 miles (Historic Church)
Barton-on-the-Heath, St Lawrence Church - 2.7 miles (Historic Church)
Chastleton House - 2.8 miles (Historic House)
Whichford, St Michael - 3 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Little Rollright: